Tuesday, June 10, 2014

CUSTOMERS NEED THE ROMANCE.



I was in one of the many branches of First Bank Nigeria situated Lagos today. I needed to make some deposits but had a swell time as the employees of the bank reminded me of my first love in customer service. I saw that all hope is not lost about improving the attitude of Nigeria’s banking community to service. In the recent past, customers suffered to make deposits and withdrawals but today only a few customers were spotted in the well arranged branch. One would have thought that the introduction of automated teller machines is the perfect solution to crowded banking halls. Rather, more problems emerged with the adoption of this cutting edge technology. Nigeria was recently very high amongst countries with the largest number of ATM transactions. This however did not reduce how bank customers stay in unending queues at ATM locations just to transact..

As I tried to enter the branch, the first security man at the gate saluted “good morning sir, welcome to First bank”. I managed to respond to him muttering to myself “I have no shishi to spare today”. The greeting was unusual. I had patronized the same branch severally with this same gate man not uttering a word to me. At some other occasions he even exchanged abusive words with customers. As if that was not enough, as I stepped into the banking hall, a neat well dressed security man shouted me “good morning sir, welcome to First Bank”. I was flabbergasted and taken aback. This is now getting more serious. Could it mean that the branch recently had a knowledge sharing session (KSS) that changed many things?

I had to believe the latter, that something good was going on. The banking hall was not crowded as usual, everywhere was well lit and with a good scent stimulating my olfactory perception. The whole setting was just appropriate. I could have given the FBN branch a 100% rating today assuming I was there on a mystery shopping visit but for one thing. The gate-man that saluted as I entered the branch did it with a good attitude but lacked the right skills. Instead of quickly correcting him as he tried to welcome the customers in a commanding tone, the other bank employees were busy gossiping about his loud unpalatable way of dishing out the greetings in instruction form to the customer. I don’t blame him. I will rather have him better trained because he is willing. 

Contrary to my thoughts that I may be over exaggerating my passion for customer service, the love for excellent service delivery soared instantly from within. I quickly cautioned the staff that was jesting about this without thinking. I advised him and others on the need to correct the security man so that he can be better at what he is doing. He already started something good and should get the right motivation to do more. I suggested to them to tell him to greet the customer as if he was wooing a new love. Everybody that heard that laughed but then, that was the right thing to do. 

Customers would appreciate your customer service intentions only if you make them attractive and romantic. No wonder one of my mentors used to say “romance your customers”. I recorded today as a positive one for me. Smiles came without the any SMS alert of unprecedented cash deposit into my account. The experience of what I had always preached but never seeing in our banks made me elated. Luckily for me too, I was able to touch the life of several bankers with my experience as a customer service professional. Nothing more made me happier today. Congratulations to the First Bank branch for winning my A rating in service excellence today, the 10th of June, 2014.

No comments: