Friday, August 17, 2012

Service Soliloquy - 17/8/2012


The unruly employee:

I was in the office of a well known Nigerian University and observed as a medium size crowd awaited the attendant response of an officer of the institution’s cybercafé located in the administrative block. I was in a hurry just like everyone was. Knowing very well that the cyber officer is under pressure, I moved on to a user of on one of the busy computers to ask for the procedure at the internet office, before meeting with the officer in charge. This actually helped me to avoid an impending tongue lash that could have been directed at me. I knew exactly what I wanted and what I needed the officer to do for me before meeting with him, so his job was only to deliver without needing to listen extensively to what I needed. No wonder he treated my request without much problem arising, yet not with the perfect touch a customer care expectant customer like me would anticipate.

I was almost done with my request as I waited for the officer to hand over my printed forms to me. I saw a customer complaining to the officer from the other end and could not really understand what the customer wants. Obviously, the customer was complaining about the service and that he wanted the officer to attend to his case. All of a sudden, I heard the officer shout at the customer “you are very stupid for saying that”. I was taken aback and felt very embarrassed. What more can one expect? The customer retorted “who do you think you are?” and to everyone’s surprise the officer who was already fuming repeated himself. This time he made it very clear and confirmed to everyone standing “I repeat, you are very, very, very stupid for saying what you said”. Everyone was astonished that someone whose work was to bring and satisfy customers’ needs is the one responsible for their overt abuse.

I could not stand there until the matter degenerates to an unending brawl; I had to beg the customer to overlook the officer’s rudeness. I calmed the upset customer and he left somewhat in a better mood. Several customers tried to caution the officer about his unruly behaviour but he was adamant. I also met with him, trying to make him see why should accommodate all manner of pressure from his customers. My effort was fruitless as he repeated severally that the customer is very stupid. His explanation about what the customer did was only able to clarify to us that he was under pressure. He mentioned that the customer should have known that he was under pressure and should have avoided getting him upset. I had to stop when I realized that this man got it all wrong and there was nothing we could do about his attitude. Other customers confirmed that this is his usual disposition towards them and that he had even threatened to slap another customer that morning.

Now the question is, why would any employee upset his customer? Do you know of any good reason for this kind of disposition? If you have valid reasons why this customer should be treated this way or any other comments that could help with way forward on this complaint, kindly comment on the blog at http://successdrive.blogspot.com

No comments: